Public Programs & Outreach Manager
Organization: Bucknell University
Public Programs & Outreach Manager
Apr 10, 2019
The Samek Art Museum is a program of Bucknell University that creates meaningful encounters between artists, students, scholars, the public and works of art. The Museum presents originally curated, traveling, and collection based exhibitions and public programs that cover the range of art history with an emphasis on contemporary art. The Museum maintains an active collection of over 5,000 objects, including 450 works installed across the campus. The Museum programs and manages 3 spaces - the Campus Art Gallery on Bucknell's campus (including offices, work-room, and collection study room), Downtown Art Gallery, and off-site collections storage - totaling 4,500 square feet of exhibition and program space plus 3,000 of storage and work space. The Museum produces, on average, 12 exhibitions, 70 class visits, and 12 public programs annually.
The Public Programs & Outreach Manager develops and implements the museum's education programs and outreach activities. The Public Programs & Outreach Manager reports to the Museum Director and fulfills their duties in accordance with campus, state, and federal policies and laws as well as in keeping with museum and gallery professional practices.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following duties:
• Work with Director to plan public programs that enhance exhibitions through museum education, interpretation, and social engagement.
• Produce artist talks, scholarly lectures, panels, gallery tours, discussion groups, workshops, and social events.
• Engage campus faculty and schoolteachers in academic outreach; coordinate and lead class tours; arrange artist visits to classes, studios.
• Engage the public and community organizations as museum participants and visitors.
• Arrange travel, lodging, and payment for visiting artists and speakers.
• Secure speaker agreements and maintain files.
• Coordinate recording selected programs and distribute via website and social media.
• Evaluate attendance and level of engagement and learning from programs and improve.
Outreach and Marketing
• Work with Director to develop annual outreach and marketing plan that reaches priority targeted audiences, increases museum visibility generally, and leverages resources for maximum benefit.
• Write outreach and marketing material, incorporate curatorial content produced by Director, proofread, and deploy both across appropriate communications vehicles.
• Maintain timely and dynamic public information resources: campus events calendar, museum website and social media, posters, etc.
• Work with campus Design and Print, Publications, and Mail to disseminate email newsletter and printed season program.
• Serve as Museum media relations manager; work with campus Communications Office to produce press releases and actively seek press coverage. Produce press preview receptions. Maintain and expand museum mailing lists. Manage production and publication of brochures and catalogs. Regularly reach out to media and community organizations to seek and activate opportunities to promote or advertise museum exhibitions and programs.
• Maintain up-to-date shared museum master calendar of public programs and events.
• Register events with campus Events Management, reserve rooms and equipment.
• Receive and coordinate requests to use museum facilities by campus, faculty, student groups, and community organizations.
• Coordinate with campus Catering, Facilities, and other organizations to schedule and produce events.
• Set-up and take-down of museum events.
• Open/Close gallery during off-hours for special events.
• Work with Operations Coordinator to schedule student attendants for events.
Student Docents and Volunteers
• Serve as primary Museum liaison to the student Samek Museum Art Club.
• Develop and manage student docent program. Work with Operations Coordinator to train student employees as museum guides and keep student employees trained in ongoing exhibitions and programs.
• Ensure adequate signage and public information about gallery hours, policies, and programs. Maintain and update video wall and video window.
• Produce exhibition and program signage, wall panels, and labels.
• Provide public with printed material about museum, exhibitions, and programs and manage requests to distribute materials from external departments and organizations on-site.
• Receive questions and feedback from visitors and handle situations that student museum guides are not prepared to handle.
Diversity & Inclusion Expectation:
• Actively contribute to Bucknell's efforts to foster a diverse and inclusive campus community.
• Graduate degree in Art History, Museum Studies, or closely related field.
• A minimum of 1 year professional experience in an art gallery or museum in functional areas detailed in the job description
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as an independent self-starter and effectively manage multiple priorities
• Demonstrated ability to work across diverse cultures and styles at all levels within and external to the campus community.
• Demonstrated ability to speak comfortably in front of both small and large groups
• Valid PA driver's license (or ability to get one within 30 days)
• Availability to work evenings and weekends, as scheduled
• Demonstrated facility with MS Office, Google calendar, WordPress, and online social media platforms
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell's 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell's beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University's main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell's surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 07 Jan 2019 Eastern Standard Time
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/mp57fx9fwc9vz9nk